15 July 2016
The Monitor (Kampala)
Uganda: Machar Fighters Killed Six Ugandans - Oryem
Burundi: Malala Shocked As Crying Burundian Girls Recall Rape Fleeing War
East Africa: All Options On the Table for South Sudan - Rwanda
Ethiopia: 10 Killed in Protests in Northern Ethiopia
Rwanda: Malala Calls for Global Efforts to Educate Refugee Children
Kenya: Police Officer Shot Dead After Killing Six Colleagues
Kenya: Three-Way Marriage Challenges Stigma and Promotes Safe Sex
Ethiopia: Several Killed As Police Make Arrests Sparking Protests in Gondar
Uganda: Judges Miss Deadline for Former Prime Minister Mbabazi Judgment
South Sudan: Kiir Rules Out More Foreign Troops
Uganda: Army Enters South Sudan to Evacuate Ugandans
Uganda: Gunmen Attack UPDF Convoy in South Sudan
Uganda: Soldiers Injured in South Sudan
Uganda: Besigye's Party Differ Over Direction of Defiance Campaign
Uganda: Police Leader Orders Probe Into Besigye Beatings
Uganda: Opposition Leader Akena Gets Cold Feet On Joining Museveni Cabinet
Africa: Too Much Intelligence Can Derail Your Love
By Isaac Imaka
Kampala - Foreign Affairs minister Oryem Okello told Parliament yesterday that out of the 11 Ugandans who have so far been killed in South Sudan, six were killed after being run over at Jebel Kujur, by a military tank belonging to the SPLA-IO, a force belonging to Vice President Riek Machar.
While briefing the House on the situation in South Sudan, Mr Oryem, who described the situation in South Sudan as 'remaining tense', said the six bodies are yet to be retrieved because they are still in a territory being manned by Mr Machar's forces.
"As soon as the situation relaxes, government will identify and return the Ugandans home," he said. He, however, said government is taking all measures to ensure the safety of Ugandans and their evacuation.
"As of this morning (yesterday), 3,000 Ugandans assembled at Gumeo Market in Juba waiting to be evacuated," Mr Oryem said. "For Ugandans in other parts of South Sudan, particularly in Wau and Torit, government has advised to limit their movements and where the situation warrants, move to the UN compounds." Fighting broke out in Juba on Sunday between forces loyal to the President Salva Kiir and his first Vice President, Riek Marchar.
Mr Oryem said government has received reports that Mr Marchar's forces are having an upper hand in terms of control and that Yei, a medium-sized city in southwest south Sudan, is expected to fall "into the hands of the rebels soon".
That statement, however made MPs question why Uganda was referring to Mr Marchar as a rebel yet he is part of a coalition government.
The MPs also asked government to explain whether Ugandans would be compensated for the loss in Juba.
"For these losses, how does the government of South Sudan compensate our people? It's not the first time our people have been killed yet we contributed so much in the attainment of their independence," Mr Mohammad Nsereko, the Kampala Central, MP said.
Bulamogi MP Kenneth Lubogo said it was wrong for East Africa to admit South Sudan into the community.
"How can a country that has not proved to have a track record of human rights, failed to work with its neighbours to bring peace come into the East African Community," he asked. "South Sudan doesn't want to show that they appreciate the effort Uganda has put to bring peace in that country."
Security Minister Henry Tumukunde, however, said government's concern for now was to rescue Ugandans. He also said the country's borders to the north are secure.
"National Security Council assessed the situation and made sure the situation in South Sudan doesn't spill into Uganda, especially regarding the flow of weapons.
Masaka Municipality MP Mathias Mpuuga wondered when normalcy would return.
Source: The Monitor