The police disciplinary standby court at Police Headquarters, has found 8 officers guilty, after they neglected to promptly and diligently attend to their duty on the night of the 28/08/2019 and 29/08/2019. One officer was additionally charged, with discreditable conduct when he failed to professionally attend to the relatives of kidnap victims, Maria Nagirinya and Ronald Kitayimbwa, who had sought his assistance.
During their hearing it was found that the officers violated requirements of duty, to remain alert and observant. Others were absent from duty that evening. It was also noted that so many errors, delays in fast tracking the CCTV footages and miscommunications were made, minutes and hours after the double kidnap. All in all, the officers while at Old Kampala, Nateete and Katwe Police stations respectively showed an unwillingness to perform their duties, as well as take appropriate action during the occasion of the crime.
Therefore, given the nature of the allegation, we believe it serves the public interest to release the outcome of the penalties prescribed;
1. ASP Byansi Mohammed Rashid, OC Station Nateete was charged with neglect of duty. He was found guilty, convicted and sentenced to a reprimand.
2. D/ASP Andrew Niziyimana, OC CID Nateete was also charged with Neglect of Duty. He was found guilty, convicted and sentenced to a reprimand.
3. ASP Okello Allan, who was supposed to be the car commander that night but was absent. He was charged with neglect of duty, found guilty, convicted and sentenced to a severe reprimand.
4. D/AIP Baguma Sunday, the Standby officer for Nateete Police Station that night, was charged with Neglect of Duty. He was found guilty, convicted and sentenced to a reprimand.
5. 54975 CPL Owana Samuel, the 21/C signaller of Katwe, who was supposed to relay messages that night, was absent. He was charged with Neglect of Duty, found guilty, convicted and recommended for a reduction in rank, from Corporal to Constable.
6. 35691D/CPL Kibikwamu Lauben,was the officer in charge counter at Old Kampala. He was not courteous to the relatives to the victims when they approached him for assistance. He was charged with Discreditable conduct, found guilty, convicted and sentenced to a reduction in rank from corporal to constable.
7. 63848 CPL Basaliza Joshua, the station guard of Old Kampala, who failed to open the gate for the relatives to the victims. He was charged with Neglect of Duty found guilty, convicted and sentenced to a reprimand.
8. 65805 PC Kitutu Deo, the 2nd station guard at Old Kampala, was absent when the relatives came for assistance. He was charged with Neglect of Duty, found guilty, convicted and sentenced to a reprimand.
The defaulters have 14 days within which they can appeal the judgment to the Police Council Appellate Court.
We pledge to continue demonstrating our resolve to robustly fight all forms of indiscipline in the force, in order to uphold high standards of policing. We call upon all officers to desist from all acts of professional misconduct and instead display the highest levels of ethics and accountability in the course of their duties.
Source: Uganda Police Force