Prime Minister Rugunda to Launch Bulambuli Resettlement Project

Prime Minister Dr Ruhakana Rugunda will on Wednesday 23rd January officially launch a comprehensive exercise that will ultimately resettle the victims of the October 11, 2018 landslides in Bududa that left over 40 dead, hundreds displaced and property worth billions destroyed.

The launch will take place at the Government land in Bunambutye, Bulambuli District, where construction of houses for the victims is being undertaken.

According to Martin Owor, the Commissioner for Disaster Preparedness and Management, 101 houses are currently being built in the first phase of the drive that is expected to be completed in two months.

The Prime Minister will officially launch the Bulambuli Resettlement exercise and give it enhanced impetus to see that work is delivered on time and with best quality, with value for money, Mr Owor said.

Mr Owor said that the 101 houses are being built by engineering teams from the UPDF and Uganda Police.

He said that area MPs, district and other local leaders as well as the general public from the area have been invited.

While touring the construction site on Saturday 19th January, journalists were shown around the expansive project which has previously suffered setbacks with some local leaders contesting the ownership of the land, and others claiming that it is a wetland.

On the ground, however, engineers complained that lack of water had slowed down their speed as water had to be ferried by trucks from Mbale.

The challenge was sorted out last week when Ministry of Water installed a generator driven water pump and borehole.

The resettlement exercise is being undertaken by a multisectoral team comprising ministries of education, health, agriculture, gender, Labour and social development coordinated by the Office of the Prime Minister.

An audit of the people in the Mount Elgon region at the risk of landslides was put at 100,000.

Source: Office of the Prime Minister

Releated

17 killed in Africa from coronavirus: WHO

ANKARA— The World Health Organization (WHO) announced Thursday the death toll from the COVID-19 virus stood at at 17 in Africa as more countries on the continent recorded first cases in the past 24 hours.The WHO said “633 confirmed #COVID19 cases in #A…

African countries beef up measures to contain spread of COVID-19

BEIJING— Countries in Africa have stepped up their efforts against the COVID-19 pandemic to ensure public health security, Xinhua news agency reported.A foreign national tested positive on Feb. 14 in Egypt, the first case of infection reported on the A…