MUKONO- The State Minister for Children and Youth Affairs, Mr Ronald Kibuule, has blocked the eviction of 65 families from two villages in Kapeke and Kasenge parishes in Nama Sub-county, Mukono District.
The residents petitioned the minister, who is also the area MP, last year when businessman Donald Muguluma directed them to vacate the 70-acre piece of land.
Mr Muguluma, who is also a commissioner for health in Buganda Kingdom’s Kyaggwe County, is accused of fraudulently acquiring the land. Late last year, Mr Muguluma ordered the residents to stop carrying on any development on the land, and ordered them to leave.
Speaking during a meeting with residents on Monday, Mr Kibuule said: “I reversed Muguluma’s orders and summoned a meeting of land department surveyors, district security officials and concerned residents to find a lasting solution. I cannot leave these innocent residents to suffer at the expense of fraudsters.” “We have lived in these villages for over 60 years and all our grandparents were buried here. How can we move,” Ms Olive Nansubuga, one of the affected residents, wondered.
The minister said Mr Muguluma had communicated to him and admitted that he had fraudulently obtained a title for the land in question.
However, when contacted for comment, Mr Muguluma denied that he ever talked to the minister or admitted that he fraudulently acquired the land. Mr Muguluma said he acquired the land after following the right procedures.“I requested for land through the district land commission and got it. Of course there are some bonafide tenants who I requested through my lawyers that we demarcate and transfer some pieces of land to them,” he said.
Source: Daily Monitor