Car owner seeks pay from Museveni convoy

Ntungamo.

A man in Ntungamo District is seeking compensation for damage of his vehicle after it was involved in an accident with vehicles clearing the way for President Museveni’s convoy.
The accident also resulted in the death of a child and left two people injured.

Mr Thomas Byamugisha, 37, a resident of Rwensinga Nyakabaare parish in Ruhaama, Ntungamo District, claims his vehicle was pushed off the road by the aance vehicles of President Museveni’s convoy on June 6 as the head of state was heading to Rukoni Sub-county.

According to a traffic report by the district police traffic officer, Mr Emilio Kazimoto, the vehicle was was coming from Rukoni and it overturned at Kyemanyira near Nyakyera Trading Centre leading to death of Phionah Ampumwire. Her mother and the driver Warren Nkwatsibwe were injured.

Mr Byamugisha said last week he was aised to visit the office of the First Lady and the Resident District Commissioner for help but he has not been helped even after he was told to present the police report on the accident.

“Even when I presented it [report], there is no help coming. They have told me they also cannot reach the President or anyone responsible for that,” Mr Byamugisha said.

However, Mr George Bakunda, the political assistant to the First Lady, last week said they received letters from Mr Byamugisha seeking aid from Ms Museveni and the President.
Mr Bakunda said they were trying to see how they can reach the relevant offices for help.