Shock has gripped residents of Kyazanga Town council in Lwengo district after one of their colleague died in a house fire.
Rosemary Nantume 44, a resident of Kyazanga, in Kyazanga Town council in Lwengo district died in the fire which gutted her house on Christmas night.
Nantume’s trouble started after she reportedly came back home where she stays alone when she was too drunk. She lit a candle and left it burning before she went to bed.
The fire that gutted Nantume’s house is believed to have been caused by the candle she left burning in her bedroom. The candle fell on the clothes which were on the ground before spreading to other parts of the house.
According to the deceased’s neighbors, they were attracted by a big smoke that was coming from her house. They tried to put out the fire before calling police but it was too late.
The Southern Region Police Spokesperson, Noah Sserunjoji confirmed the incident saying that it was too late to save Nantume’s life because by the time police reached the scene, her house had been burnt to the ground.
Sserunjoji warned people against over drinking during end of year festivities, saying that if Nantume was not over drunk she could not have probably left the candle burning when she went to bed.
He also aised members of the community to always attend police sensitizations meetings about fire to get skills on how they can use to put out fire in case of fire outbreaks in their locality.
The deceased’s body was taken to hospital for post-mortem as investigations into the cause of the fire continue.
SOURCE: Daily Monitor