Government to compensate couple over lost baby at Mulago

KAMPALA

Government has agreed to compensate a couple that lost one of their twin babies at the hands of Mulago hospital midwife in 2012.
This was after State Attorney Chikpi Ojambo informed court that the two parties have reached aanced stages of settlement and only await confirmation from the Solicitor General on how much to pay the couple.
Mr Michael Mubangizi together with his wife Ms Jennifer Munsimenta sued the hospital last year over the loss of one of their babies who is said to have mysteriously gone missing shortly after birth.
“This is the last adjournment to report back with a final settlement report or else parties should come ready to proceed with the hearing on December 9,” ruled the trial Judge Lydia Mugambe.

Mubangizi explains that he filed a case at Mulago police post, but after two days the hospital administration gave them a body of another baby they found in a box. He however, says that a DNA test carried out on the body showed that they were not the biological parents of the deceased.
The couple that is being supported by Human Rights and Development- CEHURD says it has a feeling that their baby is still alive because Mulago hospital has never released the actual body.
They also claim that the mortuary entries of 14thMarch2012 do not show any body registered by their names. The couple further contends that their family has suffered mental torture and their right to parenthood and health was violated by the hospital. They are now seeking general damages against Mulago hospital management.

jkigongo@ug.nationmedia.com

SOURCE: Daily Monitor

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply