The Ntoroko district officials together with ministry of Education have created three emergency Primary Leaving Exams (PLE)enters to enable pupils sit for their exams without facing difficulties.
This is because most parts of the district are now submerged in water as the area has since last week been soaked in floods after River Semuliki burst its banks displacing over 500 people, destroying houses and property and blocking most of the roads in the area.
The Resident district commissioner, Mr Wilson Isingoma said that the district officials were prompted to create three emergency centers to help over 300 pupils from the 15 affected schools in Kanara, Bweramule and Budiba sub counties.
“The emergency centers have been established in sub counties of Kibuku, Rwamabale, Butungama and Bweramule which will accommodate over 444 candidates, including the 308 candidates displaced from the 15 schools” said Mr Isingoma.
Primary seven candidates across the country started their Primary Leaving Examinations today with Mathematics as their first subject and Social Studies which will be done in the afternoon.
The District Education Officer, Mr Masereka Mubaraka said, “Rwamabale Primary school in Kibuku Sub County is to accommodate candidates from Bweramule, totaling to 52 candidates and Kamuhigi Primary School in Rwebisengo Town will sit with New Hope, Rwangara, Umoja, totaling 264 candidates while Butungama Primary will be combined with Budiba, Kasojo and Kasungu among others totaling to 126 candidates,” he said.
UNICEF has facilitated the affected schools by providing fuel to police and the district vehicles to ferry candidates from the affected areas to the established centers to write their examinations which end on November 4.
“UNCEF provided tents to the centers where candidates are going to sit for exams from which will be accommodating them during the night as they sit for PLE but the only challenge is that there is no mosquito nets and there are many mosquitoes, also there are no mattresses, these pupils will be sleeping in tents” said Mr Masereka.
However, Mr Masereka said there is no safe water in the area since most of the bore holes were submerged by the floods and latrines have contaminated the available water.
“UNICEF has only promised to provide drinking water to candidates for day and night I don’t know what they will use for cooking and bathing, latrines are also still a challenge at Kamuhigi primary school, there is only one 5 stance latrine going to be shared by over 200 candidates” he added.
SOURCE: Daily Monitor