Egypt pile more misery on Kobs in U-23 qualifiers

In defence of his team selection after the 4-0 Caf U-23 Championships qualifier first leg loss to Egypt, coach Micho Sredojevic argued the Kobs had nothing to lose.

That was after Uganda had lost seven out of eight times the two countries had previously met.
“Uganda has gone to Egypt and fielded two right backs and two left backs but still lost. So I decided to field an attacking team,” he said.

On Saturday at Namboole, he put out another similarly attacking line up for the return leg with Deus Bukenya starting as the only defensive midfielder against the Egyptians.

There was no change in fortunes though as Kobs were largely outplayed en route to a 2-1 loss and 6-1 aggregate defeat.

“We have seen reality of truth that despite trying our best, it is not enough to reach level which Egypt is at present,” Micho said after the game played in front of a largely empty stadium.

A goal in each half from forward Mahmoud Abdelmonem put Uganda to the sword with captain Farouk Miya netting the consolation for the Kobs.

Striker Yunus Sentamu whose club career with Tunisian side CS Sfaxien looks to be on the ropes following his extended stay in the country was Kobs’ most lively player and twice had his efforts well saved.

The result means Kobs have been bundled out of two under-age competitions in 5 months following elimination by Mozambique in the All Africa games qualifiers.

essenono@ug.nationmedia.com

Releated

Asian Markets Rebound Tuesday on Good Economic News from China and US

Better-than-expected economic numbers from China Tuesday helped Asian markets rebound from Monday’s staggering losses.   Tokyo’s Nikkei index gained 1.3% Tuesday, while Hong Kong’s Hang Seng index was up 0.5% and the Shanghai’s Composite index finished 0.7% higher.    The S&P/ASX index in Sydney earned 1.4%, with Seoul’s KOSPI index up 0.7% and the TSEC in Taiwan […]

UN Rights Chief: COVID-19 Pandemic Threatens Peace, Development

GENEVA – The U.N. high commissioner for human rights warns that COVID-19 threatens peace and development around the world. Michelle Bachelet called for action to protect the world’s most vulnerable people at the opening of the 44th regular session of the U.N. Human Rights Council. The U.N. rights chief says the COVID-19 pandemic has significantly […]