Ebola crisis: Third death confirmed in Mali

Bamako- A nurse and the patient he was treating have become the second and third people to die from Ebola in Mali.

The patient, a traditional Muslim healer in his 50s, had recently arrived from Guinea.

He had been treated by the nurse, 25, in the Malian capital, Bamako, at the Pasteur Clinic, which has now been placed in quarantine.

The deaths are unrelated to Mali’s first Ebola case, when a two-year-old girl died from the disease in October.The announcement of a second Ebola case came as Malian authorities were beginning to lift quarantine restrictions on more than a hundred people put at risk by exposure to Mali’s first victim of the deadly virus.

That victim was a two-year-old girl from Guinea who was diagnosed with Ebola after journeying to the western town of Kayes on October 23. She died the following day.

The toddler had travelled by bus and taxi with her grandmother, sister and uncle, making frequent stops on a trip of more than 1,200 kilometres (750 miles).
They also spent two hours in the capital Bamako, visiting relatives in a house of 25 people.

Several patients who were being treated for other illnesses at the Pasteur Clinic in Bamako have left the hospital, while others have been placed under surveillance, hospital sources said.

The facility, one of the best equipped in the Malian capital, was sealed off by a police cordon late Tuesday.

Another source at the clinic said it had taken in a patient from across the border in Guinea two weeks ago, suffering from renal problems. That patient died and the body was repatriated to Guinea.

SOURCE: Daily Monitor

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply