Detectives testify in Rwenzori attack trials

Kasese-Three police detectives on Tuesday testified in the ongoing trial in the army General Court Martial of the 54 suspects implicated in the Rwenzori bloody clashes of July 5.

State Prosecutor Capt Fredrick Kangomo presented the officer in charge of criminal investigations department at Hima Police Station, Mr Mathias Mulumba Mr Alfred Mutahi, a detective at Kasese Central Police Station and Mr George Rubahafi, a detective at Muhokya police station, as witnesses.

Mr Mulumba told the military court chaired by Maj Gen Levi Karuhanga that he rushed to Bigando area in Kitswamba Sub-county and found the home of Cpl Grace Nabimanya, a soldier who was killed with his daughters by the attackers, and found it burning.

Mulumba said he saw the body of one Mutoro who was cut several times. During cross-examination by the defence lawyer Geoffrey Sibendire, he said he did not know the circumstances under which a rifle loaded with 24 rounds of ammunition was recovered from the attackers.

“My lord, I was only told by Maj Muhamed Ondoga from Kavera barracks that they recovered a gun during a fire exchange at Bigando when I had come back to the station to open a case file,” Mr Mulumba testified.

He told court that he saw dead bodies and wounded victims but did not establish whether they bore gunshot wounds.

“I saw the dead bodies and one Alice died in my presence but I can’t tell whether there were also gunshot wounds because everyone was over-bleeding from the wounds that must have been caused by a sharp object,” Mr Mulumba said.

Detective Alfred Mutahi denied allegations that the scene of crime at a farm where one of the victims was murdered had been tempered with. Detective Rubahafi said he arrested three of the suspects who had catapults.
Defence lawyer Sibendire accused the prosecution witness of deliberately dodging questions to derail the trial process.

The police officers are part of the 14 out of 17 state witnesses who have testified against the suspects in the Rwenzori attackers that left more than 90 people dead.

The General Court martial resumed on Tuesday to try 56 accused persons, including Rwenzururu kingdom ministers accused of murdering 12 people and injuring five others during the attacks.

The court went into recess on August 28, 2014 after granting bail to former Rwenzururu kingdom officials: Mr Noah Nzaghale (prime minister), Aganatiya Katya (culture minister), chairperson for Rwenzururu veterans Yolamu Mulima.

Lance Corporal Robinson Bwambale who went missing after the attack could not be produced in court and the prosecutor, Major Kangwamu, said he was undergoing treatment at Mbuya military hospital in Kampala.

The court will go to neighbouring Bundibugyo District to continue with the trial of 126 accused persons on December 8.

editorial@ug.nationmedia.com

SOURCE: Daily Monitor

Leave a Reply

Releated

Asia Today: India Reports over 8,000 New Virus Cases

NEW DELHI – India reported more than 8,000 new cases of the coronavirus in a single day, another record high that topped the deadliest week in the country. Confirmed infections have risen to 182,143, with 5,164 fatalities, including 193 in the last 24 hours, the Health Ministry said Sunday. Overall, more than 60% of the […]

SpaceX Astronauts Welcomed Aboard International Space Station

The crew of the International Space Station welcomed U.S. astronauts Douglas Hurley and Bob Behnken after their privately built SpaceX capsule docked Sunday.     NASA astronaut Christopher Cassidy and Russian cosmonauts Anatoly Ivanishin and Ivan Vagner shook hands with their new station-mates as they climbed aboard.   “Welcome to Bob and Doug. I will […]