Court cancels bail of youth protestors for missing hearing

Kampala.
City Hall Magistrates Court yesterday cancelled bail of six youth charged with participating in unlawful protest around the city.

Grade One Magistrate Moses Nabende cancelled the bail on grounds that the suspects left court on November 4 with no option other than issuing a warrant of arrest, when they failed to turn up for the hearing without reason.

The suspects who included Mr Ferdinand Luutu, Ms Nasimbwa Nalongo, Mr Augustine Ojobilo, Mr Joram Mwesigye, Mr Robert Mayanja and Mr Norman Tumuhimbise were remanded to Luzira prison until December 4 when they will return to attend the hearing.

No notification
“Basing on the mere fact that the suspects never communicated to court the cause of their absence, not even their lawyers knew of their whereabouts and neither did their sureties show up. Court is obliged cancel their bail,” Mr Nabende said.
The defence lawyer, Mr Isaac Ssemakadde, argued that his clients skipped bail because they had gone upcountry to attend burial of a colleagues’ grandparent.

However, his efforts fell on deaf ears as the trial magistrate could not over turn court’s decision.
Mr Ssemakadde also told court that the ninth suspect, Mr Ambrose Juma, has since disappeared and it is suspected that he was abducted by unknown people.

Allegations
Prosecution alleges that on August 4, on Speke Road in Kampala, the group, with an intention of causing disturbance in Kampala, participated in unlawful assembly by moving around with a coffin.

Police records show the suspects were arrested earlier this month after they were found carrying banners with the words, ‘We are mourning for our country over corruption, unemployment, youth desertion. Do not lead us into temptations’.

bndagire@ug.nationmedia.com

SOURCE: Daily Monitor

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply