The Congolese M23 rebels will be flown back home on Tuesday amidst protest by the group leadership that Kinshasa government is not ready to receive them.
The rebels fled the UN- backed Congolese offensive to Uganda last year and have been camped in western Uganda waiting for repatriation for the last one year.
“There will be a hand over of the M23 Refugees back to their home, scheduled to take place today ( December 16, 2014) at Entebbe at 2:00pm,” the Ugandan army said in a short statement on Tuesday.
On Friday, the M23 chairman, Bertrand Bisimwa wrote to the Head of the Office of the High Commission of the United Nations’ Human Rights protesting what he called “forced repatriation”.
“We hereby to alert you and express our concerns over the DRC’s Government current approach which violates the international texts relating to the protection of the human rights which the United Nations is the guarantor”, he said. Mr Bisimwa said the fighters fear for the safety.
SOURCE: Daily Monitor