Bunyoro kingdom wants court to free its subjects

Hoima.
Bunyoro Kitara Kingdom has asked Masindi High Court to release five suspects who were arrested in connection with the clashes in Rwengabi village, Kabwooya Sub-county last week.

The kingdom’s deputy attorney general, Mr Robert Irumba, said they have filed a production warrant with a view of applying for bail for the accused.

Mr Raphael Eribankya, the kingdom’s works minister, Mr Abu Busobozi, the Northern ward councillor, Mr Joseph Bamusoni, Mr Kimera Mustafa and Ms Monday Margret, the Central ward councillor were arrested by police and on Friday charged before the Hoima Grade One Magistrates Court with aggravated robbery and arson.

Court remanded them to Hoima prisons until December 19.

“The Kingdom believes the five suspects, including the kingdom’s works minister, Mr Eribankya, are presumed innocent until courts of law prove otherwise,” Bunyoro Kitara Kingdom deputy prime minister Blasio Mugasa said.

Mr Abbas Byakagaba, the head of the oil and gas protection unit in police, told journalists that more than 70 houses including a community school were burnt, crops were destroyed and an unspecified number of domestic animals killed and stolen.
He said police will arrest and prosecute whoever participated in the violence.

fmugerwa@ug.nationmedia.com

SOURCE: Daily Monitor

Releated

President opens Public-Private Partnership conference

President Yoweri Museveni has highly commended the private sector for their idea of supplementing government’s efforts in the development of both economic and social infrastructure adding that the 2 areas form the main core foundation of the country’s …