One of the common questions I get on my radio show is: “I love my partner so much but they don’t seem ready to commit. Is this relationship a waste of time?” Well, if you are one of those people who feel like you cannot get your partner to commit, you might have missed some signs along the way. Here’s how to tell if your relationship is not on the right track.
1. You never talk about the future . Yes, it is great to live in the moment, but if you do not make plans for the next step, your relationship could end up being short-term. This is because making future plans is healthy for a growing relationship and also an indicator of commitment. So if you are still dating and your partner does not prioritis you now, they are never going to.
2. They are not marriage material. While it seems like an obvious barrier to a serious relationship, most of us usually ignore it when someone says, “I am not the marrying kind and I do not believe in marriage”. We stick around thinking we can change that person. Honey, it is time to start taking them at face value before it is too late.
3. You have nothing in common except sex. If all you have in common is what happens between the sheets, it may be hard to achieve the level of intimacy you desire because while hot sex is satisfying and can give you a continuous glow, it is not enough to make a healthy relationship. Your relationship is missing one important ingredient love. It is likely there will be no next level.
4. You are both acting like you are single. If even after being together for a while you are both still hanging out like crazy till late, moreover with friends than each other, there is a problem.
5. You missed the baby ‘steps’. If you missed the important relationship milestones like calling each other boyfriendgirlfriend, or saying I love you, then you might need to start making up for lost time, to assess the relationship.
By Jaq Deweyi, presenter of the K-Zone on 93.3 KFM (Mon-Fri, 8pm-12am).
SOURCE: Daily Monitor